Monday, May 7, 2012

Pink Faux Chenille

When I found out I was pregnant one of my first thoughts was, "I can finally make a faux chenille blanket for me!"  I even had the exact fabric I wanted to use.  I've had it for a year and a half because I just couldn't resist, I just hoped I'd have a girl some day so I could use it.


The brown, flowered fabric is from Michael Miller and it's a super soft corduroy.  The bright pink is a basic flannel and I used three layers and then I used a yellow broad cloth to peek through the flannel. It turned out just how I wanted it too, only I'm pretty sure I'll need to wash it 15,000 more times to get all the fuzz off :).  These photos don't show the yellow very well but it looks awesome on the blanket.


I used a slightly different technique on this blanket that turned out to be awesome so I wanted to pass it on.  Normally I sew all the lines on the blanket and then I cut all the lines, but for this blanket I had a deadline.  Our church was having a showcase for talents and I wanted to display this blanket so instead of taking over a week to finish I did it all in two days.  When the monotony of sewing lines got to be too much I stopped and cut lines.   Then when I couldn't cut any more I started sewing again.  I figured all this would do was break up the boredom but it ended being far better than that.  The more lines you sew the stiffer the fabric gets and it's harder and harder to maneuver but with the lines cut the blanket stayed really soft and flexible.  It made the sewing far easier, I'll use this same method again.


This definitely isn't my first chenille blanket and I sort of look for any excuse to make them because I love them so much, you can check out the other's I've made below.


Blue FloweredBlack & IvoryBrown & Gold

Pin It
  Linking To Monday - C.R.A.F.T., Making The World Cuter, Polly Want a Crafter, Simpsonized Crafts, Sugar Bee Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Girl Creative   Tuesday - All Things Related, Creative Itch, Domestically Speaking, It's Sew for YouLadybug BlessingsSassy Sites, Today's Creative Blog, This & That, Topsy Turvy    Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design, Me and My Bucket   Thursday - A Glimpse Inside House of Hepworth, It's Sew Stinkin Cute, Lemon Tree Creations Somewhat Simple, The Train to Crazy, What Allie's Making Now   Friday - Creation Corner, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots & Jello, The CrEaTiVe CraTe

3 comments:

Jbear said...

So pretty! Ours is used all the time for our stroller.

Randiocoy said...

I love this!! Will try!

Liz said...

Such a good tip to sew some, then cut some! I am working on one of these now and am about half way through sewing. I'm going to start cutting now because it's getting too stiff to maneuver easily.