Friday, September 2, 2011

Cupcakes in a Jar

What this?  A post that isn't What Catie Wore?  Shocking!
 Ages ago I pinned this link from cakies for cupcakes in a jar.
These cupcakes in a jar are so unique and beautiful and I knew I wanted to make some but I also didn't have any jars and wasn't willing to buy them.  Then I moved in with my Mother-in-law and she had a whole case of small canning jars, not as cute as the ones in the photo but not bad.  I knew I wouldn't package mine as beautifully (those wooden spoons are so awesome) but they still turned out not too shabby.


Before we go any further, let me tell you my opinion of red velvet cake.  I think it's stupid.  The colour comes from nothing but a whole lot of food colouring and I've never understood the draw to them. I do know that lots of people love them and they're kind of gourmet for some reason so I made them to take to my husband's work bbq.  After making them twice now they might be starting to grow on me.


As I mentioned above, I moved in with my in-laws but most of our stuff is in storage including my cake decorating supplies.  I tried to make do but my first attempt wasn't really anything special.  I had to use an icing tip that was too small, a ziplock bag for my icing but worst of all I didn't have my gel food coloring.  Instead I used what was on hand, the liquid stuff.  Those red velvet cupcakes were awfully pink.  People forgave me though and ate them anyway and they were tasty.


Not too long after my cousin was having what I thought was a Dr. Suess  themed baby shower (I think mine was the only red and blue item there).  Red velvet cupcakes with blue cream cheese icing was perfect for the theme (think Thing 1 and Thing 2).  This time I got proper food colouring and borrowed a proper tip and bag and the difference was surprising.  I didn't take a photo of my first attempt because they weren't photo worthy (being very pink and all).  Just compare my two different batches of batter.  I knew I was in trouble with the pink stuff there just wasn't anything I could do about it.


I used Bakerella's recipe for the cake and it was delicious (much better than the last recipe I used), like I mentioned above, it's cream cheese frosting tinted blue.

Since they're kind of unique I added a label to the top so people would know what they were eating.
And a photo from the top so you can see the pretty swirled top.


I'll definitely be making these again, they're delicious and so pretty.

 Linking To Monday - C.R.A.F.T., Making The World CuterSugar Bee Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Girl Creative   Tuesday - All Things Related, Creative Itch, Domestically Speaking, Sassy Sites, Today's Creative Blog, This & That, Topsy Turvy    Wednesday - Blue Cricket DesignThursday - A Glimpse Inside Lemon Tree Creations Somewhat Simple, The Train to Crazy, What Allie's Making Now   Friday - Creation Corner, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots & Jello, The CrEaTiVe CraTe

12 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

SO CUTE! I have been "pinning" cakes in jars also! They look like so much fun. YOU have actually made some (I have only WISHED I had made some). I'm sure they were the hit of the baby shower. I think that was genius to put the label with the cake description and the little drawing on the top....it really makes it tie into the theme.

SymbioticLife said...

Those are so cute! I love the Thing 1 and Thing 2 addition to the idea. I don't know if it sounds at all appealing to you but I have come across red velvet cake recipes that used beet root powder instead of food coloring and each time I've tried it, it's turned out really red. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Stacy said...

Red Velvet cake is red for a reason. When you go homemade, with the old school recipe, two ingredients react to each other, turning the batter red. I hope that helps you understand more the "draw" to them. The red isn't just added for funsies.

Cherie said...

What a great idea! I think I am going to try this... The more colorful the cake against the frosting makes it look beautiful!

http://www.busyfamilylife.blogspot.com

Michelle L. said...

Yum! I love the blue tint, it pops!

Bree said...

I love this! My friend loves red velvet so i'll have to try these for her birthday =) I'm really happy that I stumbled across your blog!
would you like to follow each other?

Bree
artofbeingcool.blogspot.com

DIYbyDesign said...

That is so unique. I absolutely love the idea. I have to try this one. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

Coley said...

oh wow, these are awesome! They look so good and those labels are adorable!!

Coley @
www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

That's a great idea!

Karen said...

They look delish! I love Red Velvet Cake! Yum:) I am a new follower.
www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

gaurav said...

I don't know if it sounds at all appealing to you but I have come across red velvet cake recipes that used beet root powder instead of food coloring and each time I've tried it, it's turned out really red. Great post!
doral real estate

Terra said...

I love the colors!